Monday, October 17, 2016

Clean or Dirty Water is Water


This is my Water class at GCE lab school. In this unit we studied how to purify water and the pH scale. For our action project we had to create a filter. I had to measure the pH before and after being filtered.

For my filter I required 5 things
  • 2 plastic bottles
  • 1 mesh pad
  • Sand 
  • Gravel 

First I cut the top off of one of the plastic bottles so I had a place to put in the water and build the filter. I then put a mesh at the bottom to make sure that the next step will work. Then I put in the mixture of gravel and sand. I would alternate mixing and would slightly shake the bottle so the sand and gravel would mix and getting rid of air pockets. Once the bottle was full and place on top of the water catching system I began the process by pouring in the water. It took a while for water to begin to come through the bottom because the sand was not wet. Once the water began to finally filter it was apparent that my filter was as about as effective as blowing on a bonfire. The water came out with sand in it. The blue filter on the bottom did not do its job completely or effectively and let sand get though and fall into the catching

PH was 4.0 before and after the filtration process so no change was made to the acidic level of the water. This water is on the lower side of the scale which makes it questionable if you can drink it considering that 7.0 is the perfect level and this is 4.0.

With the pH of 4.0 I can convert that to H to see what the hydrogen level is. 4.0 converts to 0.0001 meaning that there is a very low amount of hydrogen inside the water also lowering the quality of the drink.
LM,Before Water,2016

IF, Filter, 2016
IF, After filter water, 2016
LM. (2016). Filter Drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment